Sunday 17 March 2013

My Life as a Housewife
 

Morning:
The timer pings; the hot rods of the toaster glow.
We're out of tea bags and spray starch for the laundry;
We'll have a nice fish and chip supper tomorrow.
The house is clean; today can be a nothing day,
I feel I can take down all the pewter thunderclouds
Polish them up so they gleam like precious silver.
I'll spruce up the world so everything looks proud
Not sad and dreary like the willows by the river.


Noon:
The shopping's bought; the ironed shirts are crisply starched
Both cats are fed. Who has the time for daytime TV?
The phone rings; the kettle sings; my throat is parched
I don't complain; this is the life I chose for me
If I groan or I rebel no one will even listen.
Who will scrub the greasy pans and dirty dishes?
To make my busy kitchen shine and brightly glisten;
Kids and husband will ignore all my futile wishes


Night:
The day's work is done but never any praise for me -
Just the things that I've forgot are the ones they mention
Once more to bed and in my dreams at least I'll be free.
A housewife's humble prayer is still worthy of attention.
That I'll be more valued by the folk I've raised.
A new day's hope that life won't remain the same;
That there'll be less worries and I'll get a little praise.
But if the sky fell in tomorrow, I know who'd get the blame.

 *
If you have enjoyed this poem click on the link below to forward to friends or leave a comment
 




No comments:

Post a Comment